A 32 mile span of Virginia Route 16 with over three hundred curves, the ‘Back of the Dragon’ is one of the premier roads in the nation for sports cars, with spectacular views crossing three mountains from Marion to Tazewell in western Virginia.
- Caravan from Hampton Roads to Marion, Friday, October 5
- Drive ‘Back of Dragon’ multiple days (www.visitvirginiamountains.com/trails.html), Oct. 6 & 7
- Lunch on Saturday in the historic valley of Burke’s Garden (visittazewellcounty.org/burkes-garden-2), BBQ, fixin’s, and dessert prepared by the Amish all for $12 (vegetarian option available)
- ‘Song of the Mountains’ bluegrass concert (songofthemountains.org) at the famous Lincoln Theater in Marion, Oct. 6
- ‘To the Breaks and Back’ tour on Sunday (clawofthedragon.com/to-the-breaks-and-back.html) with sightseeing and lunch at Breaks Interstate Park, the “Grand Canyon of the South” (breakspark.com) $2/car entry, $14 buffet